Once upon a dream

What’s one to do on a lazy summer day when the house is quiet and no one around? It's such a pleasure to be so pleased, to be at ease on a summer's day! So I go out to the garden. I was alone in the garden, thinking about the heat of the end of August, about the blue sky, about the need for a good rain. “Ssssh… listen! Can you hear it?” Certainly, summer is a season of sounds: bumblebees buzzing, bird singing among the branches of the callery pear and on the table the ice clinking in glasses of fresh lemonade.

With absolutely nothing to do but to daydream I soon fell asleep.... It wasn't too long though before out of the heat haze that hung over the garden something appeared... A mirage I thought!

Or was it more like a fairy? Can fairies hypnotize you with their eyes?

“If you seek the road to Fairyland--this vision said--, it's quite easy, wait until the yellow moon appears, and if the breeze is right and you know the very words to cast a spell, you'll get upon a thistledown and sail away to Fairyland on a track of light”. Oh but wait!--I said. What are the words to cast the spell? “Dance with me”!--the fairy said. “You must first learn to play the game of light and shadows”.

And there I was, and there she was... dancing among the roses, showering ourselves with petals. She was so happy and free in her spirit, her cherry-red fairy tunic reminded me of soft wings, and of tiny red flowers, and little sprinkles of flowers and a poppy meadow bathed in sunlight...

All the while she was dancing she was singing the most beautiful song I had ever heard... it was something like.... “dance, dance in the month of August… dance, dance for the Queen of F'ey, oh my sisters dance and sing, dance around the fairy ring.... La la la la la la la la”.
Her hair wild in the afternoon breeze as she sang and dance and fluttered around the roses...

All the little butterflies danced around her... a colored joy to my sleepy eyes they flicker-flack as they flutter around… one of them, posed on the very tip of her toe, moved along with her and although the fairy danced, and flapped her wings ever so graciously, the butterfly stood there, like a pretty ring on the tip of her toe...

The fairy moved with such grace and ease, as if one with nature she floated with the breeze. So unlike her I moved, but I had to dance even if I lack her grace… I needed to learn the spell that would take me straight to Fairyland. So dance I did; poor clumsy me dashed off behind the fairy and danced along the fairy dance of light and shadows...

My feet hard on the grown, trippin', stumblin', flippin', fumblin'......

As we kept dancing something magical happened. She said: “Fly away with me, release the ground below, there's everything to see and everywhere to go”. I hesitated, but then she said "take my hand, and watch your wings appear, the hidden world is seen, the distant world is near", and I was so fascinated by her words that I did just what she asked. Suddenly, my shadow became her shadow, we were one and two and all the same...

Higher higher ever higher reaching to the sky we flew... then slowly drifting down as the wind began to sigh... "You are one of us now"--she said and I saw her cross the clearing with such gracious leaps and bounds... until she disappeared. Her music was the symphony of all the sounds of the forest.

I woke after that... her song still lingering on my mind. Was it really a dream? There are fairies at the bottom of my garden, you know! If you ever want to meet them let me know. My garden is not so very, very far away; you pass the gardener’s shed and you just keep straight ahead. I do so hope you can come some day... in the mean time, I’m learning, playing, having the time of my life in the garden… living is one third effort and one third just living, but of course, to make living fun we also need one third of imagination.

No comments: